Our clients with verbal behavior needs have assessments completed using either the Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB-MAPP) or The Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills – Revised (ABLLS-R) to accurately target each individual’s needs. Our verbal behavior training program focuses on basic verbal operants; mands, tacts, echoics, and intraverbals as well as listener responding.
What is a mand?
- A mand is a request and a way for a child to get their needs and wants met.
What is a tact?
- A tact is a label, such as “car”.
What is an echoic?
- An echoic is a verbal imitation.
What is an intraverbal?
- An intraverbal is in response to what another person says but typically does not match it exactly. (Not imitation or echoic).
What is listener responding (receptive language)?
- Listener responding has to do with a person attending to and understanding the speaker. Commonly done by having a child complete an action.